Join the First Annual Farm Fresh Tour
The regional Farm Fresh Appalachia Farm Tour is a partnership between Appalachian RC&D Council, Appalachian Sustainable Development and Boone Street Market. This year will be the first of what we hope is an annual event connecting our region to our local farms. Participating farms in Tennessee will be open June 23 and in Virginia on June 30, to welcome the public to experience the farm behind the scenes. Farms may provide guided and self-guided tours, demonstrations, and hands-on experiences, and goods for sale. You choose your schedule for the day and how many farms to visit. All farm experiences are family friendly for all ages.
Here’s How it Works:
- Buy a car pass: Online or in person at two locations: Boone St. Market, Jonesborough,TN or Abingdon Visitors Center, Abingdon, VA(CASH ONLY) Only one pass is needed per carload.
- Cost: $15 for one day or $25 for both
- Map your route for farms you’d like to visit and plan your day.
- Bring a cooler, freezer bags, and some cash. Many farms offer on-farm sales on tour day – fresh produce, baked goods, plants, and other farm products.
- Dress for the weather (rain or shine!) and wear sturdy shoes. Skip the perfume and heavily-scented body sprays — or the bees and bugs will find you. Don’t forget your sunscreen!
- Arrange a dog sitter – No dogs are allowed on the tour as they can pose issues with farm animals.
- Most importantly, Have Fun!