Kingsport, Tenn., June 19, 2019 – Fun Fest 2019 will feature a variety of events and activities for many age ranges and interests over the course of 9 days! Popular favorites will return, including pre-Fun Fest events such as the trash barrel paint-in and block parties along with the parade, hot air balloons, Sunset Concert Series, The Taste, and fireworks.
2019 Fun Fest Chairman Colette George says, “We are excited to mark another awesome year of Fun Fest! We take pride in how far the festival has come and we hope everyone will continue to enjoy the fun.”
Similar to last year, the festival will kick-off with the Fun Fest Parade presented by Food City. Our Downtown Kingsport activities will begin immediately after the parade with the Broad Street Boogie concert featuring the ultimate 90s experience band “Gump Fiction,” and some local favorite food trucks on site. The party continues downtown on Saturday, July 13 with the international street fair, Busking Around the World, from 11 am – 3 pm.
What’s new this year?
- The fan-favorite Car Show, which has previously been held on Main St. in Downtown Kingsport, is moving its location to ETSU at Kingsport – Allandale (1501 University Blvd, Kingsport, TN 37660). It will still take place on Saturday, July 13 from 10 am – 2 pm.
- The Greater Kingsport Family YMCA is hosting two early morning boot camp sessions on both Friday’s of Fun Fest – July 12 & July 19 – at 5:30 am at the Kingsport Farmer’s Market.
- The Spin, Sprint, Splash Kids Triathlon hosted by Kingsport Parks and Recreation will be held on Sunday, July 14 at V.O. Dobbins, Sr. Complex beginning at 1:30 pm. Registration is free and will take place on-site.
- Adding to the downtown activities that will happen on the First Saturday of Fun Fest, July 13:
- Smith Brothers Harley-Davidson is coming on board to host a Motorcycle Show on Main St. in Downtown Kingsport
- Also, we are pleased to add another NEW event – Touch-A-Truck. Children will have a hands-on opportunity to explore a variety of machinery. Vehicles on display routinely include construction trucks, emergency responders, tractor trailers, utility trucks & MORE. It will also take place from 10 am – 2 pm just up the street from the Motorcycle Show
- The Chalk Walk competition, sponsored by Select Seven Credit Union, which was a new event last year, is changing its date & location. It will take place on the first Saturday of Fun Fest, in Downtown Kingsport. Artists will compete for cash prizes as they use the sidewalks of Broad St. for their canvas. There is a $10 registration fee for a single artist and $35 fee for a group or family of up to four people. Each entrant receives a 10 x 10 space to draw and a box of chalk.
- Children 12 and under can draw in a non-competitive children’s section
- Crazy 8s 8K Road Race is changing to a new course this year as organizers vie to get the 8K world record back. The course keeps some of the familiar checkpoints, such as the start line outside Dobyns-Bennett on Fort Henry Drive and the finish inside J. Fred Johnson Stadium.
- Mattern & Craig is hosting a Bridge Building Contest for local middle and high school students during the Kingsport Mini Maker Faire on July 20 in the Civic Auditorium. Details are available online at kingsport.makerfaire.com
- We will continue to implement a clear bag policy for all concerts inside the stadium. Please see website and tickets for information on what’s acceptable.
When can I shop?
The Fun Fest Store opens Friday, June 21 at 9:00 a.m. at the Kingsport Chamber, 400 Clinchfield Street, Ste 100. Hours are Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. and Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. The store will be closed on Sundays and July 4. All merchandise and event tickets will be available in the store.
Check out our website at www.funfest.net, grab a schedule of events, and start marking your calendars for Fun Fest 2019. We can’t wait to celebrate with you!